Here are the 15 most beautiful clarinet designs selected by Clarinet U editor:
The world’s most technologically advanced clarinet, the CG Carbon features a body crafted from carbon fibre with an exotic wood core. Using a patented process, carbon fibre is fused to the precision machined core, resulting in a clarinet with the robust projection and unmatched intonation that Backun is known for. Years of material analysis and real-world testing have proven the fusion process can endure wide-ranging temperatures and humidity conditions without expansion or contraction of the clarinet body. Tonally, the playing characteristics stay true to that of a wooden clarinet with the new Backun Scale. This signature model, designed for Maestro Corrado Giuffredi, represents a giant leap into the future… and beyond.
- Automatic Low F Vent Mechanism ensures impeccable intonation and performance every time.
- Inline Trill Keys improve key action and help move tone holes out of the water line.
- Carbon fibre rings and tenons offer increased durability and performance.
The RZ Solo Clarinets is not only the new RZ-high-end-model featuring beautiful design with silverplated keys and goldplated pillars and fine engravings, but also the first clarinet with a special 'no-crack'-mechanism (RZ-patent). The sound of each Solo-clarinet appears full, colorful and 'dolce', bearing resemblance to the so called 'individual soloist expression', providing easy and comfortable playing throughout the registers.
- Grenadilla wood, unstained finish
- 2 replaceable pieces for upper joint based on RZ-patent 'no-crack' included (1 grenadilla, 1 ebonite)
- Leather pads, adjustable thumb rest
- Silver plated keys with gold plated pillars
- Optionally completely gold plated keywork
- Attachment of the flaps between the posts on a concurrent axis
- Adjusting screws on different keys Carbon rings
- 2 barrels, RZ case, RZ cleaning set
Description: Highest range model, born by the result of pursuing the Boehm system principle.
- Double joint socket. A Socket designed with a dual structure in order to avoid any loss of air between the barrel and the top joint during the tuning process.
- YUKIO key. This system is based on the lever principle. The weight of the A key action is reduced to improve the operability.
- D double tone hole. A slightly stuffy D/A sound is cleared by adding a second tine hole under the left hand ring finger.
- F# & E mechanisms. These mechanisms improve the homogeneity of the sound and the feeling of blowing.
- Low pitch tuning key. Actioned by the right hand thumb key, low F# & low E pitches are rectified.
The Superior is perfect for players who are looking for a warm "German" sound. It plays very evenly throughout the registers without compensation by the player and is most at home in classical, symphonic, or chamber music environments.
With its naturally dried and unstained Grenadilla wood, it is at low risk for cracking and provides a dark sound that encapsulates the clarinet as an instrument.
The specialized bore of the Superior marries the brilliance of the Boehm sound with the warmth and depth of the German tone. The original, F. Arthur Uebel bell modification, ensures optimal sound, intonation, and projection on the low “E” and throughout the entire range. Its outstanding presence and projection throughout all registers, makes this model worthy of its name.
The optional gold-plating does not only offer a stunning visual but also a distinct haptic experience while additionally providing natural protection against tarnishing. With the excellent features of the of the Superior bore, this gold plated versions of this model are a truly impressive and distinguished choice for the artist.
- 18 keys
- 6 rings
- Selected seasoned Grenadilla wood
- Ergonomically optimized design
- Undercut tone holes
- Eb lever
- “Superior” bore
- 2 barrels
- Adjustable thumbrest with ring
- Leather Premium DeLuxe pads
- Silver plated keywork
- 925 Silver "Superior" Plate
Not solely in Germany, but all over the world, our instruments with German fingering have been gaining currency. This type of fingering goes back to the initial tone hole positioning of period clarinets, which means that a G-major scale on a Model 2000 is played without cross fingerings. Since the late 19th century, almost all clarinets with German fingering include advanced mechanisms with widely open half tone holes, thereby allowing the chromatic scale to sound evenly.
- The B and C sharp long keys, played by the left pinkie, are positioned on separate axes, therefore requiring tubes twice as long as commonly used. The tone holes are being indirectly controlled by longitudinally positioned keycups, thereby creating a larger opening for the tone hole, while simultaneously limiting the key’s free movement for the actioning finger.
- Unlike other designs, all surface buttons in the left pinkie’s range are rotated upwards by several degrees, thereby achieving a relaxed posture for the entire hand.
- The A key on the upper joint is connected to the A flat key’s little lever. Thereby, the tone hole remains small while still creating a better resonance ratio, due to the open A flat tone hole. This simplifies switching between the two tones, as well as playing a half tone trill (using the right hand to play the A flat key via the second trill key).
- Physical core element is the register key with an additional open b flat resonance key. Instead of the thumbhole, we install a thumb key which, when resting, reveals a b flat resonance key with a simultaneously open register key. As long as the thumb key remains closed the b flat resonance key does the same. This mechanism allows for the sleeve in the register tone hole to be drilled narrowly, without having to take b flat into consideration. The additional open resonance tone hole balances b flat’s intonation.
- The A/e tone hole on the lower joint, played by the right ring finger, is being split and a resonance hole on the ring key added. Thereby, the open resonance hole remains small enough for a low A and a sufficiently high e’’.
- Since the mid-1990s, we have been using quartz resonance pads developed by the company Clarissono which are distinguished both by their longevity, their great resonance properties, as well as being rather silent in use.
An instrument that is inspired by the clarinet 310RR-GOLD Ripa, but turns it into a real jewel signed with “R”.
The logo applied on the bell and on the top of the instrument are in solid 18K gold. The keys are gold plated.
The real breakthrough comes with the introduction of the Sol. Bushings and the solid gold spokes, which are able to work the sound softer, so as to make it precious. A unique and hand-crafted instrument like all Ripa clarinets.
- 18/7 + Leva Eb.
- Ring of Resonance positioned at the Sol.
- Golden keys
- Adjustable support
- Ebony Grenadilla
- 2 barrels Ripa, Ripa bell.
10) Selmer Privilege
Recognized for their great versatility and their stability, the 'Privilège' clarinets stand out through their aesthetics, ergonomics and tuning. The Privilège clarinets are exceptionally stable in tuning fork, perfectly adaptable to all acoustics (opera, symphony, wind band, room, studio) and easily match with other instruments. The perfect medium register temperate (E, F, F, F#, G) wins in brightness and timbre and made of the Privilege of an instrument extremely homogeneous over the whole the range. In addition, most of the notes do not require fingering corrective to be fair, or even correction key. Raw ebony wood is selected, worked delicately, naturally treated, varnished and waterproof for protection and a top-of-the-range finish, completed by fine engravings on keys and rings.
- Bore Ø: 14.60mm
- Pitch: 442
- Barrels: 2 barrels of 64.5 and 65.5 mm
- System: standard Boehm Nr 1 (17 keys, 6 rings) with left-hand Eb lever
- Barrels, body and bell in grenadilla wood
- Keywork: silver-plated nickel silver
- Adjustable thumb rest
- Leather, Gore-Tex and cork pads
- Blue steel springs
- 'C85/120' mouthpiece. Special 'Privilège' case
After years of development, Royal Global has created a new class of professional clarinet. The innovative Firebird includes a double register mechanism for a beautifully resonant and in-tune throat Bb, and a semi-automatic G/D vent on the lower joint that can be lifted and closed by adjustment screw depending on the sound, color, and projection you are searching for. Standard plating includes premium plated rose gold posts with silver plated keys. A Gold Edition is also available in limited quantities for fully plated gold posts and keys. These features, along with a unique poly-cylindrical bore and the patented Royal Global adjustable barrel for added flexibility make it one of the best values in the industry for performing professionals.
- Poly-cylindrical bore that offers the best in immediate response, excellent intonation, and a beautiful core to the sound
- Premium African blackwood wood, aged for 7 - 10 years
- Length adjustable barrel, 64-68mm
- Double register key mechanism option with Rose Gold and Gold Deluxe for improved throat tone clarity and intonation
- Semi-automatic venting mechanism on all models in the lower joint, for better projection, clarity, and a new level of “sweetness” to the sound. This mechanism can be closed using the innovative adjustment screws, providing you with two instruments in one
- Unmatched, impeccable intonation in all registers
- Premium plating, with options for incredible beauty and unique sound
During prehistoric times, boxwood (Buxus Sempervirens) was used in the making of hunting tools and weapons due to its solidity and hardness. Later in the Middle Ages, it was used to make moulds for hammering out shapes in gold or silver in jewellery making. And it was a little over 300 years ago that it was the wood of choice for master instrument makers thanks to its mechanical and acoustic properties. Its very slow growth (about 1cm in diameter and 50cm in height every 10 to 15 years) is what gives it a density comparable to that of the grenadilla (Dalbergia Melanoxylon).
Benefiting from the best of all the innovation that has come out of Buffet Crampon in recent years, notably in the treatment of wood, we are very happy this year, in 2020, to present a limited edition of our LÉGENDE clarinet in boxwood. Lighter in weight and benefiting from the same careful manufacturing as its Grenadilla-wood counterpart, it offers more softness and roundness in timbre, bringing out a special and unique vibration making it one of a kind.
In order to make the clarinet as reliable and suitable as modern instruments, the LÉGENDE in boxwood retains all the technical attributes of that in grenadilla: its inserts in Green LinE, its ergonomic rings, its gold-plated trimmings and, of course, its legendary bore. Two quality checks for the bore will be included, free of charge, beyond the warranty period, in order to always provide the musician with the assurance of a rich and warm timbre.
For musicians wishing to convey the authenticity of historical materials and benefit from the reliability of modern clarinets, the LÉGENDE in boxwood will lend itself perfectly to performances in chamber music as well as the repertoire for chamber orchestra.
- Boxwood (Buxus Sempervirens)
- Buffet Crampon cylindrical bore
- Green LinE tones holes slots on the upper joint
- Metal-capped tenons
- Raised C#-G# tone hole (A only)
- Delivered with 2 barrels: Bb: 66 and 65mm - A: 64 and 65mm
- 19 keys and 6 rings
- Adjustable thumbrest
- Eb lever, Low f correction, low E (option)
- Silver plated and gold plated
13) Rossi Cenit
Cenit is our unique solution to various acoustic problems. An improved version of the Boehm system, its most popular feature is what Rossi calls the 'Automatic F ' System, which elegantly eliminates the problem of the chronically out-of-tune low F, without adding an extra touch-piece. All Rossi clarinets use the Boehm system, handmade in adherence to the highest standards of quality, and maintaining the now classic one-piece body plus barrel and bell.
- Tone-hole side keys for F#, Eb, C#/B#, and B/F# safely located out of the path of condensation.
- R.H. side trill keys for B and Bb mounted on independent posts.
- Ab/Eb lever for L.H. pinkie (optional).
- Raised tonehole for L.H. ring finger (optional).
- Rollers for R.H. pinky (optional).
In 1940, White introduced a very special version of the Silver King that had a silver lining. In 1945 this instrument was named the "King Microsonic" then later renamed the "King Silversonic" clarinet. This instrument marked the epitome of HN White's metal clarinet-making ability.
Today, although wooden flutes are rare, well-made metal clarinets are rare. Starting in the 1920's, as metal clarinets caught on in popularity, unfortunately, many manufacturers introduced cheap and shoddily made instruments into the market. Although a handful of manufacturers such as the HN White Company steadfastly maintained superior quality, the overwhelming flood of cheap metal clarinets influenced people's perception such that today metal clarinets are virtually unheard of. However, many professional jazz clarinetists, collectors, and music historians still revere the HN White and "Silver King" name to the point that sales of pre-owned "Silver King" clarinets of any vintage are much sought after today and command the highest prices.
- Boehm system silver clarinet, 17 keys 6 rings
- Articulated G# key
- Made in two finishes, Sterling silver bell with inside gold burnished. Sterling silver bell with entire instrument plated in Roman gold finish.
- Keys: 17
- Number Of Rings: 4
- Number Of Trills: 3
- Number of Bulbs: 1
- Body: Metal
- Surface Of Mechanics: Gold lacquer
- Type Of Mechanics: German System
Each Juleez clarinet is a NEW musical instrument, that is a hand painted work of art by artist, Julie Borden and individually signed. Clarinets are finished with high gloss. Julie Borden is the most recognized artist in creating hand painted musical instruments for over 15 years. I send pictures during the painting process, so you can see your instrument being created just for you.
This listing features: B Flat Student Clarinet with Case. Juleez hand painted clarinets are a creative and expressive work on a fine instrument that is playable, or an exquisite work of art for any room. Customize this flute with your choice of colors, themes, your name, etc. . Most of my clients prefer to add something personal to their instrument. Buyers will be contacted after sale to discuss their custom design.